About The “Afara” Initiative
Afara is a fast-growing social enterprise that partners with various actors in the human and economic development value chain to enable future-fit university graduates at scale. Through our holistic model “learning-support-experience” we are preparing university students to adapt fast, remain competitive, expand their opportunity buckets, and win in a highly globalized and fast-changing job world. Our work is enabled by innovative models, technologies, and platforms that will support speed and scale. We are building a network of globally connected and competitive thinkers and doers who will work together to build solutions that will meet the needs of our rapidly changing world. In just a few years, Afara has reached product-market fit and grown from an audacious idea to a pioneering organization serving over 360 young people across Nigeria. Today, we are strategically well-positioned to scale our programs and we seek to expand our reach to over 10,000 young people in the next three years and 100,000 in five years.
As we gear up for this exponential growth, Afara is looking to recruit a Chief of Staff who will work directly with the Founder-Curator and the Advisory Council to execute on our 3- year strategic plan. The CoS is the right-hand person, leverage, and force-multiplier to the CEO and must remain flexible to fill in capacity gaps as the priorities of the start-up change. If you have an entrepreneurial mindset, with a strong ability to solve problems, this opportunity will enable you to put that into practice by assuming responsibility for bringing strategic projects to life. The Afara environment will liberate you to realize your full potential.
Areas of responsibility may include, but are not limited to:
- The strategic debate that informs the direction and deliverables of the organization.
- Optimizing planning, execution, and monitoring of strategic imperatives.
- Solving complex problems with innovative solutions.
- Detailed research and analysis to substantiate the ideas of the Founder.
- Project management of strategic initiatives and projects from conception to business case to implementation.
- Compilation of presentations and communication for delivery by the Founder to both internal and external audiences.
- Input into operational design and process efficiencies.
- Preparation of proposals for strategic partnerships and funding.
- Spearheading special projects in technology, venture acquisitions, fundraising, talent acquisitions.
- Managing the organizational metrics and executive decision-making frameworks and ensuring they are reflective of the company’s priorities.
Personal Attributes and Skills.
Afara’s Chief of Staff must be exceptional. They must demonstrate:
- Exceptional analytical, problem-solving, and research skills.
- Creative thinking and the ability to operationalize solutions.
- An ability to deal with complex issues as well as migrate between detail and high-level requirements.
- Drive and commitment to exceed expectations.
- Ownership mentality, be hands-on and independent
- Excellent communication skills with the respectable presence
- Reliability, trustworthiness, and dependability – can be counted on.
- The ability to engage and influence both internal and external parties on behalf of the Founder.
- A thorough understanding of business dynamics and challenges.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree level or higher, with a strong analytical or business focus, and a proven record of academic excellence.
- At least 3 years of consulting or investment banking experience with a top-tier consulting firm or bank.
- Companies that have presented great CoS in the past include McKinsey, Bain Capital, Morgan Stanley, and EY Parthenon
- Alternatively, 5 years of business experience in a business development role or experience as a start-up founder
- Extensive business and/or technical experience with a proven track record of innovation, entrepreneurship, delivery, and performance across multidisciplinary areas and projects.
The role is flexible on location in 2021; this may change in future years.