About The “Afara” Initiative
Afara is a fast-growing social enterprise that partners with various actors in the human and economic development value chain to enable future-fit university graduates at scale. Through our holistic model “learning-support experience” we are preparing university students to adapt fast, remain competitive, expand their opportunity buckets, and win in a highly globalized and fast-changing job world. Our work is enabled by innovative models, technologies and platforms that will support speed and scale. We are building a network of globally connected and competitive thinkers and doers who will work together to build solutions that will meet the needs of our rapidly changing world. In just a few years, Afara has reached product-market fit and grown from an audacious idea to a pioneering organization serving over 400 young people across Nigeria. Today, we are strategically well-positioned to scale our programs and we seek to expand our reach to over 10,000 young people in the next three years and 50,000 in five years
As we gear up for this exponential growth, Afara is looking to recruit a VP of Partnerships who will lead our business development for local and global university partners, marketing, branding, and corporate partnerships. We are constantly seeking partnerships with innovative Nigerian universities that are passionate about developing 21st Century skills in their students, and the VP will steward those partnerships.
Furthermore, the VP will manage and build partnerships with corporate partners locally and globally to support our transitions and fundraising mandates – these relationships will result in internships and mentorships for our fellows, and sponsorships for our boot camps. Finally, the VP will oversee Afara’s branding and marketing objectives, ensuring uniformity and consistency in messaging and audience engagement.
If you have an entrepreneurial mindset, with a strong ability to solve problems, this opportunity will enable you to put that into practice by assuming responsibility for the success and expansion of an emerging brand.
Areas of responsibility may include, but are not limited to:
- Prospecting and developing partnerships with Nigerian and global universities.
- Revenue generation through multiple activity streams, including acquisition and retention of clients.
- Developing relationships with corporate organizations to facilitate internships and full-time career placements for fellows.
- Supervision of brand and marketing function, including management of social channels and website.
- Development of key marketing collateral for brand growth, fundraising, and partnership development.
- Managing key stakeholder relationships with existing partners.
- Project management of strategic initiatives and projects from conception to implementation.
- Co-development of presentations and communication for internal and external audiences
Personal Attributes and Skills.
Afara’s VP of Partnerships must be exceptional. They must demonstrate:
- Exceptional relationship building and partnership development skills.
- Creative thinking and the ability to operationalize solutions.
- An ability to deal with complex issues as well as migrate between detail and high-level requirements.
- Drive and commitment to exceed expectations.
- Ownership mentality, be hands-on and independent
- Excellent communication skills with a respectable presence.
- Reliability, trustworthiness, and dependability – can be counted on.
- The ability to engage and influence both internal and external parties.
- A thorough understanding of business dynamics and challenges
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree level or higher, with a strong analytical or business focus, and a proven record of excellence.
- At least 5 years’ professional experience in business development, marketing, partnership development, or related industry experience.
- Extensive business and/or marketing experience with a proven track record of innovation, entrepreneurship, delivery, and performance across multidisciplinary areas and projects.
The ideal candidate will be based in Nigeria, or willing to travel to Nigeria frequently
Faith Abiodun, Current VP of Growth and Partnerships